8.08.2011

Homemade Organic Raspberry Jam

I have seen lots of easy-peasy jam recipes recently and was inspired to try one out. There was a sale on organic Raspberry's at my Harris Teeter so that was the berry of choice! Hopefully these steps make sense.

You will need:

6 cups of fresh raspberries {about 5 of the 6oz cartons}

strainer
mixing bowl
one box of fruit pectin {huh? that's what I said....I used Sure Jell which I found with canning supplies}
one pot
3/4 cups water
5 1/4 cups sugar
8 half-pint mason jars {even though the recipe called for that I only filled up 7 jars}



Before you start anything else, rinse all your mason jars and lids in boiling water.


Dry jars thoroughly.


While waiting for jars to dry I rinsed my raspberries then used a biscuit cutter to begin smashing them. It was a great way to get out frustrations, I highly recommend it as the medicine for a hard day!




You'll get a soupy mixture like that last picture above. Now it's time to strain out the seeds and chunks you don't want. I didn't want a chunky jam so I strained...a LOT!


THEN add all that sugar!





I gave that a good stir then put the water in the pot and turned up the heat. Pour in the Sure Jell and let it come to a boil for one minute, but stir constantly.



Then pour the pectin straight into the raspberry mash and stir for 3 minutes.



 Now, grab those mason jars and begin filling them. You'll really be able to feel the mixture turning into jam when you start scooping! I just used a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop mine. Just stop about 1/2 inch below the top of the jar.






Almost done....don't they look pretty?! Wipe the tops of all the jars to make sure nothing spilled before you seal them with their lids.






Viola! Homemade organic raspberry jam all year-round! This stuff keeps in the fridge for 3 weeks and will freeze for a year-just thaw in the refrigerator before using. I've already gone through half a jar in my house, the rest are frozen and I think I'll be giving some away. 


Also, since I have 5 unused mason jars and I saw that blackberries are on sale this week at Harris Teeter I might be making some of that soon too! I'll post if I do.


Summer is winding down and that means berry season will too. Before it does get some of those end of season sales and make some of this jam for your family! Mister has already told me that I screwed myself with this one-I am never allowed to buy jam again, I must make it. Haha, I think he was just trying to be sweet. Good luck and let me know if you try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all! Thanks for the love, I adore your comments!

.heather.